Weekday News Wrap: Thursday, August 15, 2013
- Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan called for the U.N. Security Council to convene quickly and act after what he described as a massacre in Egypt.
- The UN has said the departure of a team of chemical weapons inspectors to Syria was “imminent.”
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has insisted that US drone strikes must operate within international law.
- International medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres has announced it will pull out of Somalia saying the threat of deadly violence had become intolerable.
- Israeli and Palestinian negotiators have reconvened US-brokered peace talks.
- North and South Korea have agreed to resume operations at Kaesong, their troubled joint industrial park, after a series of talks.