Events and Announcements: June 9, 2013
Calls for Papers
- The American Society of International Law’s International Economic Law Interest Group (ASIL IEcLIG) is pleased to issue a Call for Proposals for its inaugural Junior Scholars Research Forum, to be held at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, in Philadelphia, on November 22, 2013. The deadline for receipt of proposals is June 25th, 2013 and more information can be found here.
- On November 14–15, 2013, the University of Michigan Law School will host the Second Annual ASIL–ESIL–Rechtskulturen Workshop on International Legal Theory. This year’s theme is ‘Politics and Principle in International Legal Theory’. The deadline for the submission for abstracts is July 21, 2013. More information is available here.
- The Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana is organizing an international scientific conference entitled Second Contemporary Challenges of International Environmental Law Conference. The conference will be held on June 5-6, 2014. Abstracts are due by September 5, 2013. You can find the call for papers here.
- The Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS), School of Advanced Study at the University of London is pleased to announce its inaugural IALS Student Law Review and invites applicants to submit their papers. The IALS Student Law Review will be an open-access journal publishing scholarly articles or developing work format and will focus on legal studies within the main expertise of IALS. Contributions from all areas of the law are welcomed. More information about the Journal and the call for papers can be found here.
- The New Journal of European Criminal Law has issued a call for papers on Fundamental Rights and Penal Law in the Wake of Lisbon. It welcomes contributions on all aspects of the protection of fundamental rights within the Lisbon framework, with a particular focus on criminal law. Contributions, of maximum 12000 words (footnotes included, abstract and five keywords excluded), should be sent to irene [dot] wieczorek [at] vub [dot] ac [dot] be by September 1, 2013.
On June 17, 2013 from 12.00pm – 2.00pm the American Society of International Law will host U.S. Department of State Assistant Secretary for International Security and Nonproliferation Thomas Countryman and other distinguished panelists for an educational event discussing domestic and international implications of the Arms Trade Treaty, challenges to the implementation of the treaty and its international humanitarian law aspects. More information is here.
- ALMA and the Radzyner School of Law of the Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Herzliya would like to invite you to the next session of the Joint International Humanitarian Law Forum, on June 19, 2013. This month they host Prof. Eugene Kontorovich to discuss his new article “Jurisdiction over Israeli Settlement Activity in the International Criminal Court” and Dr. Ben Clarke to present his new article “Arming drones for law enforcement: challenges and opportunities for the protection of human life”. More information is here.
- Our friends at OUPblog wanted to highlight a recent blog post by Gina Heathcote: Thinking gender and speaking international law.
Last week’s post can be found here. If you would like to post an announcement on Opinio Juris, please contact us.