Weekday News Wrap: Monday, June 3, 2013
- Pfc Bradley Manning’s trial over his whistleblowing to WikiLeaks finally starts today.
- Anti-government protests in Turkey have reached their fourth day. Foreign Policy Blog asks how democratic Turkey is.
- The UN Arms Trade Treaty opens for signature today in a ceremony at the UN Headquarters.
- Egypt’s Supreme Constitutional Court has ruled Parliament’s upper house to be illegal but stopped short of dissolving it.
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas appointed the independent Rami Hamdallah as the new prime minister, much to the chagrin of Hamas.
- At least 112 people have been killed in a poultry factory fire in China.
- China and the US have agreed to explore cooperation to combat climate change.