Weekday News Wrap: Wednesday, May 29, 2013
- The US launched its first drone strike in Pakistan since May 11th elections in which drone strikes were a major issue of contention, with many expressing dissatisfaction and condemnation of the US program.
- Near a shipwreck in the South China Sea, tensions are mounting between Philippines, the owner of the ship run aground in 1999 to claim the territory, and China, whom the Philippines accuses of encroachment.
- Ecuador’s foreign minister accused the British government of violating the human rights of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange by refusing to allow him safe passage and travel to Ecuador, which granted him political asylum almost a year ago.
- Several countries, including Canada and Russia, have warned the EU against arming Syrian rebels, saying more weapons will lead to more deaths as the conflict spreads to neighboring states.
- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said that he wants to punish anyone denying that atrocities occurred during the 1970s Khmer Rouge regime.