Weekday News Wrap: Monday, May 27, 2013
- The government of Colombia and representatives of the FARC say they have reached a deal on land reform, one of the most contentious items in their protracted peace negotiations.
- Syria’s foreign minister has said that his government will take part in a peace conference in Geneva, terming it a “good opportunity for a political solution” to the civil war in Syria.
- Though it is still too early to tell who fired them, two rockets have hit the southern suburbs of Beirut. Additionally, a rocket was fired from south Lebanon towards Israel according to Lebanese security sources; this incident is also being investigated.
- Col. Alberto Julio Candiotti, a former Argentinian military officer being sought for crimes committed during the country’s 1976-1983 “Dirty War” was arrested last week in Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Protocol 15 to the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (ECHR) has been adopted.