Weekday News Wrap: Thursday, May 23, 2013
- Ahead of Barack Obama’s speech on national security today, in a letter to Senator Patrick Leahy, US Attorney General Eric Holder admitted that the United States has killed four American citizens with drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan.
- The British House of Commons has passed legislation for same-sex marriage; now the bill goes to the House of Lords for a vote.
- The UN and World Bank chiefs are visiting the Democratic Republic of Congo in a push for peace and development amid fighting in the country’s east causing many to flee.
- A British soldier was hacked to death with a meat cleaver by two men in London in an apparent Islamist terrorist attack, stating that the soldier’s death was “an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.”
- IMF Chief Christine Lagarde is in court in France today to be questioned about a €285 million ($366 million) arbitration payout to a supporter of Nicolas Sarkozy.