Weekday News Wrap: Wednesday, May 22, 2013
- Top officials from India and China met in New Delhi in an effort to ease tensions between the two countries, while a “special envoy” from North Korea visited Beijing in an effort to reinstate some diplomatic ties between the two nations.
- In related news, Japan has been considering restarting diplomatic talks with Pyongyang, with a focus on the abduction of Japanese citizens and other issues.
- According to defense and prosecution lawyers, the trial of former Guatemalan dictator Efrain Rios Montt has likely collapsed after the country’s top court struck down his conviction for genocide. Jurist has more on the Court’s ruling.
- The UK has asked the European Union to place Hezbollah’s military arm on its terrorist group list, denying that this move has anything to do with Hezbollah’s involvement in the Syrian conflict.
- Foreign Policy investigates whether 3-D printing could be the answer to the world’s food shortages.