Weekday News Wrap: Thursday, May 2, 2013
- North Korea has sentenced US citizen Kenneth Bae to 15 years’ hard labor for “crimes against the state.”
- In a clash on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan that lasted more than two hours, one Pakistani policeman was killed and two Afghani soldiers wounded.
- The UK Supreme Court has ruled that the government has been failing to meet EU air quality standards and has solicited the European Court of Justice for guidance.
- Chad has foiled an attempted coup that officials claim has been planned for months, with the arrest of several rebels.
- The Pope has weighed in on the tragic factory accident in Bangladesh last week, calling the unjust wages “slave labor” and condemning unbridled quests for profit as going “against God.”
- Foreign Policy has posted a guide on how to close Guantanamo.