Weekday News Wrap: Monday, April 22, 2013
- The Syrian opposition is reporting the slaughter of at least 80 people by government troops in a town south of Damascus.
- Human Rights Watch has accused authorities in Myanmar of conducting a campaign of ethnic cleansing against the Rohingya Muslim minority.
- Heavy fighting between the Nigerian military and the Boko Haram insurgents has cost almost 200 lives over the weekend.
- An Afghan girls’ school may have been victim to poison gas as 74 girls were treated over the weekend after smelling gas in the school; most have been released but some remain in critical condition.
- Just before the weekend, the United States Department of State released its 2012 Country Reports.
- Israel has announced that its air force is on track in developing a drone that will replace all piloted aircraft for air, ground and naval forces.
- In another twist to the genocide trial in Guatemala against former president Efrain Rios Montt, a judge reversed Thursday’s suspension of the trial and called the court to order.