Weekday News Wrap: Friday, November 16, 2012
- Israel has intensified its aerial bombardment on the Gaza strip, after shells targeted Tel Aviv for the first time in 20 years. CNN has a Q&A about the conflict.
- Syrian opposition leaders are in London to meet UK Foreign Secretary William Hague.
- The UK has summoned the Spanish Ambassador after Spanish naval vessels allegedly intruded in Gibraltar territorial waters. The UK Ambassador to Spain was in turn summoned after a series of incidents involving Spanish fishermen and the Gibraltar police in Spanish waters.
- On Saturday, President Obama is embarking on his first overseas trip since his re-election. He will visit Thailand, Myanmar and later also Cambodia to attend the ASEAN Summit. Myanmar has released hundreds of prisoners in anticipation of President Obama’s visit.
- The US Ambassador to South Korea has confirmed that the US is ready to “engage constructively” with North Korea if it is serious about disarmament.
- Foreign Policy summarizes the “four things you should know about China’s next leaders“, including that very little is known about them.