02 Sep Upcoming Events: September 2, 2012
Calls for Papers
- The Southern Illinois University Law Journal is seeking scholarly legal articles from newer legal scholars for possible inclusion in a special Symposium issue, Guantanamo Bay: What Next?, on legal issues arising from the continued detention and trial of detainees at Guantanamo Bay. Full submissions (in Microsoft Word) should be in by November 19, 2012.
- The International Organizations Interest Group of the American Society of International Law has issued a call for papers for a works-in-progress workshop, to be held on December 1, 2012, in Washington, DC. Abstracts are due no later than September 21, 2012 and selected full papers no later than November 17, 2012. More information can be found here.
- The Law Research Unit of the Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER) will hold its 10th Annual International Conference on Law, July 15-18, 2013, in Athens, Greece. For details, please go to the conference website. Abstracts for the call for papers are due by December 17, 2012.
- The British Institute on International and Comparative Law presents the Nineteenth Investment Treaty Forum Public Conference, The Regionalization of Investment Treaty Arrangements: Developments and Implications, September 14, 2012 in London.
- The British Institute of International and Comparative Law also presents Proportionality: A Transversal Principle? Comparative Law Perspectives September 28, 2012, also to be held in London.
- The US State Department’s Advisory Committee on Private International Law is holding its Annual Plenary Meeting, October 11-12, 2012 at the George Washington University Law School, Michael K. Young Faculty Conference Center, 5th Floor, 2000 H Street, NW, Washington, D.C. The draft program can be found here (.pdf).
- The Hague Academic Coalition presents its 9th Annual Conference, From Peace to Justice, The Politics of Justice: From a human rights revolution to global justice? October 12-13, 2012 in The Hague. More information can be found here (.pdf).
- On October 25, 2012, the British Institute of International and Comparative Law will hold its Annual Conference in conjunction with its Annual Grotius Lecture in London. The conference will consider the impact of the “Arab Spring” through three panels addressing the Rule of Law, Public International Law, and International Investment Law. The Grotius Lecture will be delivered by M. Cherif Bassiouni (DePaul Univ.- Law).
- The inaugural Joint ANZSIL-Asian Society of International Law Conference will be take place in Sydney on October 25-26, 2012. The theme of the conference, International Law and Justice, will be explored by a wide array of speakers from Australasia, Asia and beyond, in a series of panels over the two days. More information about the conference can be found here and the draft program can be found here (.pdf). Early-bird registration closes September 25, 2012.
- The British Institute of International and Comparative Law, in conjunction with the Law Society of Northern Ireland, presents UNCLOS at 30, commemorating the 30th anniversary of the opening for signature of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (“UNCLOS”), November 22-23, 2012 in Belfast, Ireland.
- Additionally, the British Institute of International and Comparative Law has announced the 13th Annual WTO Conference May 15-16, 2013 in London.
Last week’s announcements can be found here. If you are organizing a conference or other event and would like to see the call for papers or the program announced on Opinio Juris, please contact us.