Upcoming Events: July 15, 2012
Conferences & events
- The Brookings Institution will host Translating Human Rights into Practice: A Conversation on the United Nations Human Rights Council: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 2:00 — 3:30 pm in Washington, D.C.
- Washington College of Law Center for Human Rights and Humanitarian Law along with ASIL will host Human Rights Implications of SCOTUS Decisions in the 2012 Term: Wed., July 18, 2012, from 4:00-5:30 p.m. ET. Please register for the event by contacting whayes [at] wcl [dot] american [dot] edu and for the program flyer, click here.
- There will be a reception to introduce the International Court for the Environment Coalition (ICE) at 6.00 pm on Thursday 19th July at the World Federalist Movement-Institute for Global Policy, 708 Third Avenue, 24th Floor, New York City. More information about how the ICE works and about the ICE model (both .doc format).
- On Thursday, July 19, from 6-8 p.m. at the House Armed Services Committee, Carl Vinson Room (2118) 2120 Rayburn House Office Building in Washington, D.C., “Observations from a Female Shura in Afghanistan: Lasting Security and the Promotion of Women’s Rights“ Sponsored by the Women in National Security Law Initiative of the ABA Standing Committee on Law and National Security and the ABA Office of Governmental Affairs – no charge but RSVP’s are required –holly [dot] mcmahon [at] americanbar [dot] org by July 17, 2012.
- A few ABA Standing Committee on Law and National Security Annual Meeting Programs to announce, all happening in August at the Hyatt Regency, Chicago, IL (more information can be found here and here in .pdf format):
- Cybersecurity: The Legal Puzzle, Friday, August 3rd, 2012 (3:45-5:15 p.m.
- Critical Issues in National Security Law over the Last 50 Years: Past, Present and Future, Saturday, August 4th, 2012 (8:30-10:00 a.m.)
- Nuremberg Revisited: It’s Lesson for Today, Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 (10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.)
- The Renewed Trials by Military Commissions Under the Obama Administration: An Historical Perspective, Saturday, August 4th, 2012 (1:00-3:00 p.m.); Moderator: Maj. Gen. (Ret.) John Altenburg, Panelists: The Honorable Will Gunn, Brigadier General Mark Martins, Colonel (Ret.) Ralph Kohlman, Mr. Bryan Broyles
- The 2012 World Trade Organization Public Forum will occur September 24-26, 2012 with the theme: Is Multilateralism in Crisis? in Geneva at the WTO Headquarters.
Last week’s announcements can be found here. If you are organizing a conference or other event and would like to see the call for papers or the program announced on Opinio Juris, please contact us.